Today’s assembly was led by U4S and focused on what we can expect in terms of the economy in the new financial year. The girls talked about some worrying economic changes and factors that will have an effect on the economy in the coming year, such as:
- UK inflation rises to 1.8%.
- Taxing your car could become more pricey
- Problematic leaders around the world
- President Trump has called for a $54bn boost in his military budget
- A “big, beautiful door” will allow entry for legal immigrants
- Trump will ban immigration from regions of the world experiencing high volumes of terrorism.
However, they reassured us that it’s not all bad news and that this year we can expect:
- Freedom of movement
- Increased competition (keeping prices down)
- A fall in unemployment rates
U4S also explained to us how the stock market works and the importance of international exchange rates, as well as talking about their personal experiences of changes in the economy (such as rising bus fares) and the effects that Brexit could have on the economy.
In our moment of silence we remembered that although there may be some worrying predictions for the near future, we are very lucky to live in a country with economic stability which allows us to live a comfortable life.